This is the second phase of the project on ‘Improvement of school environment to combat Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM) challenges to Stop Adolescent Girls’ School Dropouts in Uganda’ supported by funds from the Lush Charity Bank of Lush Japan, Co., Ltd.
Students having a group photo after the session
At this time, we will report about Activity 2-2-2 ‘Facilitating Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM) session by MHM peer club’ conducted in Nov 2018.
Three MHM clubs (8girls&4boys) were formed from 3 target schools. The purpose of these clubs was to spearhead MHM, gender awareness and sex education by reaching out to fellow students through the child-child approach. Last time, The MHM clubs conducted gender awareness raising sessions (one session in each of the three schools) toward their school pupils. This time, they conducted MHM session, and club members trained their peers on issues related to MHM including making of reusable sanitary pads
|MHM club facilitating MHM training|
|Demonstrating how to use a reusable sanitary pad|
The club members demonstrating how the material is used
|MHM club taught their peers about proper personal hygiene management|
● General overview of menstruation.
● Menstrual cycle.
● Signs and symptoms/ characteristics of menstruation.
● Menstrual Hygiene Management.
● Making of reusable sanitary pad.
● Pupils understood what menstruation is and who are the people starting their menstruation periods.
● 624 pupils (215 boys and 409 girls) were trained in MHM and the boys will fight against the habit of bullying girls whenever their clothes are stained with blood.
● School managers pledged to continue supporting the clubs and appreciated their roles.
● All the 3 project schools accepted to allocate time in every week for the MHM club activities especially in reusable sanitary pad making.
Click on the following link to view the report on
*This project is supported by Lush Japan Co., Ltd.